Friday, February 17, 2012

Giving it the old college try............ again.................

So yeah, this will be my fourth foray into the world of greenhousing.  The first hoophouse I had at my parents house was by far the best.  That thing was beyond battle tested: heavy snowfalls, howling winds, driving rain, wiffle balls, horseshoes, everything was thrown against it, and it remained standing like a brick sh*thouse.  Of course, when I moved into the apartment, my parents couldnt wait to take it down.


The next two were complete disasters, as we didnt build a good enough foundation for one, and no foundation at all on the other.  Needless to say, a gentle breeze kicked the ass of both of those.


Never fear, for my scouring of the interwebs has yielded this beaut: the GrowCamp.  For the bargain price of $380, this puppy will be going where the other one stood before it was sent to meet its maker.  The only caveat is that I promised Lisa we'd get a new dishwasher before I made any funzies purchases


Now, I know you're all saying, "ok, Bromberg.....  you cant walk inside.  What the hell is the point?"  Well, thats EXACTLY the point!  Seeing as how this is not an entry ghse, it's not as flimsy as the Easy2Build one I paid $550 for a few years ago that seemed to tilt to one side when a robin sneezed near it.  This one not only appears to be anchored by a more secure purlin, but also a few more stabilizing wires, and the fact that the bottom 50% is filled w. the growing medium.  As the season progresses, this blog as well as my Facebook page will be filled w. pictures of this 'new' endeavor.  The plan as it stands right now is to do perennial and biennial herbs on one side, and whatever I feel like throwing on the other side.  Who knows, maybe even get another extension prior to the 2013 season!

No comments:

Post a Comment