Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Snow + seed starts = sdfhjahsdfgkauagfadhj

So, here we are at the end of March, but someone forgot to tell Ma Nature.  She's got her a/c working overtime as we've struggled to get to 50° for a majority of the past three weeks, and have a truckload of snow coming Friday!  For those of you calendar-impaired, that's April 1!!!!    In fact, I dont ordinarily say this in March, but I'll gladly take some of the 80° weather Sarah, Scott, Lisa and I left behind in Vegas two weeks ago!  But despite the chill, the gardening season is under way!  I've been gardening for the better part of my life (supposedly started when I was 3 years old [family pictures to prove it]), but dont have a recollection of it until I was 7.  Be that as it may, that's still going on 27 years where reaping the benefits of hard work in the soil has been part of me.  However, it's been over 15 years since I've tried growing tomatoes from seed, and the latest effort plays into that.  Ack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Germination rate of about 10%, and I'm sure it's something I'm doing.  This is one of the reasons I'm glad that Amy and I came up w. the CSA option for this year.  The rest of the Lemon Boys have been sent to her to see what she can do w. them.  Hopefully, between the two of us, we can pull off what you see in the picture.  Regardless, it's going to be a fun ride as the challenges of the Z5 growing season always are!  Gotsta pick me up some broccoli and kale starts in the next few weeks also.


In unrelated news, really looking forward to Jared and Jen's arrival this weekend.  It's tough when your brother lives 3000 miles away on the other side of the country, and compounded when your 5-month old nephew is out there as well.  Should be a great week w. them here!

No comments:

Post a Comment